Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Tada Sensei Seminar

I took it easy yesterday, being my first day in Japan, I just went down to Aikikai Hombu Dojo and signed up, got my bearings and took a look around the local area. Tried to ask a few people on the street the time in Japanese (Ima nan-ji desu ka?) - asking was easy - understanding the answer was little bit more tricky, especially when the answer is something unexpected - like "I dont have a watch", or "Time to get a watch". Although I did manage to read my first sign (well the hiragana part at least) - not much of an achievement I admit - but it is something.

But today I went to a 3 hr Tada - Sensei (9th Dan) seminar at the Hombu Dojo, it over ran a little, from 3 hours to 4.5 hrs. After a quick count I'd guess that there were around 100 people on the mat (when bowing in this took 3/4 of the mat space). There was a translator for the non Japanese speakers which was good - although as he stated afterwards, it's difficult to translate spiritual and technical terminology.

We went through some breathing and Kototama exercises, which was really enjoyable. Then we practiced some basic footwork patterns. The next thing was internal visualisation practice of techniques. Where we got together in threes. Two people placed their hands on the third persons back and tried to guide them around the room by sending thoughts through their hands, with one person deciding which way to go. Seemed a case of sensitivity and feeling the gentle pressure to turn, or lack of pressure to stop. A little bizzare to see 100+ people being guided around the Dojo in such a strange manner. We then covered some techniques for multiple attackers, various Shihonage techniques against two attackers, I practiced with some local young Dan grades, it was enjoyable. All in all lots of fun with lots of seiza practice !

After the training I got chatting to the translator who told me that they are very rigorous in Iwama (actually he said rough (and smiled)) and when he was sent there after four years of training, he got hit in the head with shomenuchi, and that they apply strong Nikkyo. He also said they may take it easier with visitors (smiling and laughing). Ran my legs under hot and cold water when I got to the hotel to help get the blood pumping.

So I head off to Iwama tomorrow, where I guess the real journey will begin.