Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Relax Relax Relax

"Keith is relax" became my mantra for a couple of days. Relax not Relaxing - to instigate a state of being not a state of doing. I also spent some time massaging my Jaw. Having read and heard how important this is, and having heard that it can have a rather spontaneous effect on ones body.

The advice to relax was fantastic. When I was first told - I thought and said - I am relaxed (relatively - a side thought). Spending a couple of days - really focusing on letting go of tension has been great. After a couple of days off training when I returned my Sempai said, "You are really relaxed - how did you do it (so quickly)?" He seemed positively surprised about the difference it had made. He seemed happy I was happy. It helped with my high falls too. Although not able to relax completely at full height yet - I am now told that now my next goal is to let go/release the tension in my waist and hips, and that it feels like I am holding back or holding onto something. My instant reaction is that it is fear. They say that people hold their emotions in their hips. I think I am holding onto the fear of landing like a sack of spuds in mine. But I am working on it - and its just a matter of time.