Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Mirror

Aikido means different things to different people, I have reflected quite hard on this since I first heard it said, trying to pin down what it means to me. This is by no means my final thought but it is something.

I now see my aikido training as a kind of mirror that allows me to see the workings of my mind, how my ego reacts to different situations. Enabling me to see more clearly, how I think, how I react to things and people, external conflict and internal conflicts alike. By understanding how my own mind works, thinks and reacts I can see more clearly how other peoples minds are working too. Enabling me to be more perceptive, more compassionate and hopefully overall a more well rounded individual.

I will give one example of how I see this process in action.
Uke does not entirely agree with the way in which nage is doing the technique, he is thinking to himself this is not the best way, if you did it like this instead....blah blah. Uke has been taught a different way, which they hold onto as a superior way. Uke is relaxed, in the way that they are used to for this technique, but nages technique does not take uke balance and it is a struggle to make it work in the way that nage is used to.

Nage thinks uke is being deliberately difficult, not flowing with the technique, perhaps being rigid or deliberately awkward, or blocking the technique. There is both an external and internal conflict going on. This has been derived from where uke and nage perspectives are positioned.

Holding onto the fixed points of view they perceive each others actions from a judgemental frame of mind. It is likely that you will experience both sides of this picture, then by a careful examination of the situations and the interplay between your perceptions as both uke and nage, you come to the realisation that there is no right or wrong person, the perceptions have been built from the individuals previous experience, nothing more nothing less.

By observing my own mind go through these scenarios, I am able to keep my mind more open, less judgemental be more flexible and understanding. On some level Nage and uke must work together. Nage leads uke, and uke should allow themselves to be led. If uke is resistant then the technique simply changes to compensate for the new plain of resistance, and will go in a different direction. Although in practice we are supposed to practice a particular technique and not change to another one. In reality the ability of Nage to be sensitive and react to the subtle changes of uke is what Aikido is all about, ie Takemusu-aiki.

(In practice the end result of this is that if Nage is your sempai, be flexible allow the technique to work, keep your month shut, even if you think its a load of or a little crap. You can decide later to do it another way, but will most likely eventually meet "yourself" but hopefully this time you wont be too awkward or judgmental)

From now on if uke is "awkward" then i wont get frustrated or change the technique, I will just calmly explain that it would be helpful if they could help me out a little and go with the flow. And if Nage wants to show me another way then I think "great - another perspective i can learn something here". (even by seeing how I dont want to do it !!!)


If a blind man lead a blind man, both fall down in the ditch. --Wyclif (Matt. xv. 14.)