Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Sore Wrist

Yesterday during Jiyuwaza as uke I was injured. The nage, wont mention names. Threw me with a shihonage which I could not high fall out of, and prob needed to as it ended up with an instantly numb forearm, wrist and sore elbow. Such that I cannot fully straighten my arm or bend my wrist without it hurting. This has prob something to do with the fact that my wrist was boarderline recovered from previous injury. It seems to be feeling a lot better today - so hopefully it wont take three months like it did last time. Although the wrist bone feels real tender, so its prob aggrivated the not quite fully healed injury.

It was not a deliberate attempt to injure me, although I think it was a little bit over zealous. We have been training together for 3 months now so I kinda expected that he would know my limitations. We had a conversation previously, where I had politely pointed out that, his technique was very strong and he should be a little bit careful that he didnt hurt his ukes. Which he admitted he had done previously.

As far as I am concerned, taking care of your ukes is more important than doing it hard. My future in Aikido would like to see me be able to take the strongest attack and accept it without injury to uke. After all if we wanted to learn how to beat the crap out of each other we would, (or at least i would) do another "art".

There is also the flip side to this - that as uke I should be more flexible, and that did definately have a part to play, as a group we have talked about this and I have been trying my best. Although I would still maintain that it is sempai's responsibilty to take care of kohai, and understand thier limitations.

I am not one to complain and this is not meant in that way, although I understand that it could come across that way. There is always a chance of injury, and a sense that if you dont want to get burned, dont stand to close to the fire, and we are free to decide where we stand. Hopefully I will be able to be uke for Sotodeshi Robin in his shodan test. Although I wont risk further damage, if i dont feel like it is ok. Today I trained in the morning (but skipped evening class) but no nikkyo or sankyo or any wrist twisting on that side at all. As I dont have long left here, it doesnt really matter. Time heals all wounds (unless fatal or leaves you perm immobile !!).