Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Shodan tests

Today was the big day for many my fellow deshi (soshite kino wa san ju sai deshita demo kyo wa san ju ichi sai desu).

In total there were 5 students of Nemoto sensei, four shodan and one yondan. I was the uke for soto deshi Robin Jinx-san. The test comprised of suwariwaza yokomen ikkyo-gokyo, tachiwaza 3 techniques for: shihonage, kyokunage, irimnage, koshinage, ushiro waza, hanmihandachi, jo dori, tachi dori, tanken dori, and 1.5 mins jiyuwaza ni-nin.

The final preparation class took place last night, I resorted to asking Robin to punch me in the guts repeatedly to prove to him that he would not hurt me and to put a bit of grrrr into it. For the test I taped my wrist up real tight and tried my best to be a good uke. The guts punching seemed to work and his test performance had better energy than all the previous attempts. He was understandably a little nervous, and there were a couple of moments of hesitation, but I am very very happy that he kept his nerve and passed !!!! (As did everybody). Congratulations to all.


This video starts with Chris and should lead to Robin and Robin: