Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Jiyuwaza

This morning class was attended by myself, Uchideshi Chris and Robin and sotodeshi Kelly from Australia. The first hour focused on ukemi practice, following by 3 minutes of san-nin jiyuwaza. The second hour we covered the 12 Jo-dori.

The ukemi practice went ok, although the mental block i have on my left side is still causing me problems, and obviously now there is some fixation on it. Something that attention probably wont help to fix, I am not going to worry about it, and sure that time will do its work.

As uke for the first three jiyuwaza I felt that my attacks were more coherent than on previous occasions, although I need to be careful that I do not become inflexible and stubborn refusing to let nage throw me easily (ego acting up). Sure that there is a time for such practice although it would probably result in getting a hard smack in the face, a bloody nose or a split lip.

As the kohai of the group I was the last to be nage. I was quite surprised that it went as well as it did. I did not Kiai as I should until the end, although the actual techniques seemed to flow quite well. Obviously being inexperienced I did resort to using the same techniques over and over again, seem to prefer yokomen shihonage, shomenuchi iriminage and tsuki kotegaishi, *attempting* to use kyokunage for ryotedori, ryokata and katatedori. I tried to keep all three opponents in my sight as much as possible, looking to the next person as I was taking care of the one at hand, and making a concerted effort to move forwards and be proactive initating as much as possible. I tried to maintain Metski throughout, I felt that on this point I did quite well, it was the best part of the performance. I did not turn my back on them for long, too many times. It would have been nice to use a few more techniques, Kaiten nage and Tenchi nage in particular. I guess that any attempt for a 5th kyu doing san-nin jiyuwaza is prob not a bad effort.

(Lara for your info, as I know you wont know what Jiyuwaza is - it is where, in this case, for three minutes three people attack you as they please, trying to punch, strike or grab you, and you have to throw them using aikido techniques, or at least evade their attacks without freezing up or resorting to brute strength or nasty tactics, they do not use jab punches or try to kick and generally are fairly compliant going with the flow of any technique you attempt to use, provided that it done in such a way that it will work)