Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

31 Kumi Jo, 9 katate-dori kokyu-nage

This morning we completed the 31 Kumi Jo. I am finally beginning to reach the stage where I can start to work on the 31 Kumi Jo as an awase-maai practice rather than a practice in remembering movements and correct forms for movements. I wouldn't say that every move is perfect, far from it, but the fact that Nemoto Sensei was happy to go through it with me, start to finish and there were no, (or very little) moments of hesitation or incorrect movements shows that I must be heading in the right direction.

We covered some the henka (variations) in the early movements, but not the ones I am aware exist for the final movements. There are some movements which Nemoto Sensei performs quite differently to how I have had them explained at my home dojo. Obviously in essence they perform the same basic function and there is naturally more than one way to crack an egg.

This evening was Keiko with Inagaki Sensei. There were quite a number of kyu grades there so we did some kokyu practices, with an interesting paired form. The attacker performs shomen-yokomen-tsuki and the partner retreats back up the mat blocking each attack with kokyu. Will have to try to remember it exactly.

We then covered nine katate dori kyoku-nage

1. Static - Kihon
2. Static - Pushing the elbow
3. Static - Pulling the Gi under the elbow sharply
4. Static - Grabbing the obi
5. Static - Pushing down on the throat (back break over knee)
6. Static - Grabbing around the neck in a head lock
7. Ki no Nagare - Kihon
8. Ki no Nagare - Spiraling into
9. Ki no Nagare - Double atemi

All in all quite a productive day.