Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Evening Keiko

Today all the instructors were in Japan at an annual Hombu-dojo. So tonights training was conducted by Mark-san a long term soto-deshi (outside student) from Malta who resides in Japan. We covered only Kihon-waza (basics). It was, as far as I can remember the first time at shibu-dojo that we have practiced sankyo, including the last stay (third locking technique). I am waiting on yonkyo-gokyo-rokyo.

I also had my first negative experience, I was practicing Nikkyo with a yudansha (black belt), I offered genuine resistance, that is to say I wasn't being a hard-arse just waiting for the technique to come on a bit stronger before I went down. Mistake.

My partner failed to read my kind intent of not collapsing in a whipering heap at the slightest pain and instead interpreted as bad-obstanent-uke. I then politely tried to explain that, "Watashi wa nihongo hita desu". ("My japanese is bad"), and that I wasn't trying to be difficult. Not sure what he thought I said, but whatever it was he then didn't want to know. He got really quite angry, even when I was trying to pay attention and copy the way he was doing it, he wound him self up attempting kaishi-waza (reversals) when it wasy my turn and putting on the nikkyo hard and fast when it was his.

Fortunately all the training with genuine resistance meant that I could play slap the mat like it hurts. I have to say that I remained absolutely calm, but I was remorseful I couldn't have explained myself more clearly and resolved the situation. It was however quite clear from my body language that I wasn't trying to play ego-bullshit. Funny when deshi come to Iwama and then play Hombu - no disrespect intended, there is a time and a place for all kinds of training.

For me staying calm in the face of aggression is what Aikido is all about. Doesn't mean that you should take shit, if I felt he had intent (and ability) to hurt me I would have played a different game. I wont be afraid to practice with him again even though I'm sure he wont want to practice with me. I will just chose a more simple technique that hopefully we can agree to disagree about.

On a lighter note I went by the Aiki-Jinja prior to training and practiced a little kototama (soul-word, chanting). I also prayed for forgiveness and asked the kami for guidance. Being there again, at the Jinja was incredibly emotional. To be honest so much so that it actually made me cry with tears of joy-sorrow-hope-fear. A mixed bag of emotions, I'd like to think the Kami were also pleased to see me again and glad I was there to pray. Those who know me well will understand that, although not devoid of emotions, I am not exactly a bucket of elation nor despair. Needless to say that the Jinja, and what it represents, means an awful lot to me.

Tomorrow I may go and offer some buki-waza and,.. err.. more guidance please.