Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Morning Keiko

This morning's training begun at the rather civilized time of 9 o'clock. We went over the 20 Jo Suburi, I was able to do them as Sensei has previously demonstrated the other morning, Sensei made only minor corrections.

We then covered two variations Happo-Jo-Tsuki. I recorded them for prosperity, I will need to practice them some more.

We then covered the 31 Jo Kata. Sensei picked me up on quite a few thing which was great, mostly being sure to move off the line at the right points as well as being at the starting point at the right movements, as well as 'Ju' being a block in the Kata rather than a strike like in the paired partner practice, and being sure to step forward for Ju-ichi and Ni-Ju. All good stuff.

The last 30 mins consisted of 90 squats, 90 sit ups, 90 press ups, 90 chest raises lying on belly, 150 one legged calf raises, 150 toe raises (working that little used muscle on the front of the shin), and finally to finish off 50x 1st Suburi with the heavy bokken. I think this is going to be a regular daily routine - which as Sensei knows is what I need.