Photobucket

Aikido Iwama Uchideshi

This Blog originally tracked a three month period during which time I undertook training in Iwama under the supervision of Nemoto Sensei. We also trained at the Shibu Dojo, O'Sensei's Dojo in Iwama located in the Ibaraki Prefecture of Japan.
I have returned this time for a shorter three week stint in January 2011.

Sayonara Keiko

Tonights class was taught my Watahiki Sensei, I believe that Watahiki Sensei is now in his 80's or at least late 70's. His high falls give us all hope, that A, we still have time to learn, and B: that it is possible to keep going with vigor and enthusiasm.

He has quite a unique way of getting his point across and will grab peoples arms, hands, whatever to get them to do the technique more correctly. I have to say sometimes with absolute beginners you can say, "put your left foot there" and point one inch from the spot, and yet somehow this translates as 'put my right foot somewhere over here'. So the tactic of physically moving their body for them sometimes saves time and frustration. I remember when I trained as a very small child, I think I must have been 5-6, that the instructor had little feet shapes that he used to place on the ground to show us where our feet should go. This was only used once or twice, but as I remember it worked quite well, for small children. You could lay out a pattern, numbering and colouring them, for a technique say katatedori shihonge and get the kids to follow along. I am sure there are better ways to teach kids, and the emphasis is totally different, but its a thought.

Tomorrow I leave for Tokyo, where I will have a couple of days to do a bit of touristy stuff. A few days to relax and ponder over everything that I have learned, I am not talking about techniques as such, more what the overall experience has taught me. Before I leave I will do a big clean up of the house top to bottom, as I have said before Nemoto Sensei doesn't get on the case of his uchideshi but trusts that they will do what is expected of them, what is fair and reasonable.

I have had a great time in Iwama, practiced Saito's Bukiwaza with arguably one of the worlds best exponents, trained in O'Sensei's old dojo, with great supervision. Prayed and chanted at the Aiki-Jinja. Met some great new people, trained quite hard (my feet are pretty sore), I have some new techniques and Bukiwaza practices to take home with me. Overall despite it was a short trip only three weeks, I have learned a lot, a lot about my own motivations, and goals for my Aikido path. I am very lucky to have a supportive partner who positively encourages me to chase my dreams, and make them a reality.